Aloo means potato and tikki means patties, so you can call it is Potato Patties. Generally now a days people love to eat McAloo Tikki burger which is a combination of a potato and peas patty with special Indian spices coated with breadcrumbs, served with fresh onions, tomatoes, sweet tomato mayo, in a regular bun.
But you can easily make Spicy potato patties at home. Aloo Tikki are traditionally fried by vendors on the streets of North India, doused with tamarind chutney and sometimes smashed between a bun. Delicious! Aloo tikki can be customized according to the individual taste. You can stuff them with moong dal, green peas, or even with paneer.
6 Medium size potatoes
1 tsp red chili powder
Salt according to your taste
Ingredients for Green Peas stuffing:
2 Cups of frozen or fresh shelled green peas
2 Tbsp fine chopped coriander leaves
1 Tbsp of fresh grated ginger
½ tsp salt or to your taste
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp mango powder (amchoor)
1 Pinch of asafetida (Hing)
2 Medium green chilies –fine chopped
1 Tablespoon of vegetable oil
For making Green Peas stuffing:
- In a pan on medium heat add 1 tablespoon oil, cumin seeds and asafetida, and fry them for 2 to 3 minutes or until the cumin seeds become brown. Add green peas, grated ginger and sprinkle salt over and mix, cover the pan and let them cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until green peas become tender, stirring periodically.
- Once green peas become tender and all the water evaporated sprinkle mango powder and cook for few minutes, while frequently keep turning the green peas around. Turn the stove off.
- Transfer the green peas into a bowl and with a fork or cooking spoons mash them a little. Ensure that green pea stuffing is not watery. Keep it aside.
How to make Tikkies:
- Boil the potatoes. Once the potatoes cool down peel the skin out.
- Mash them with the help of Potato masher or fork or grate them with the grater.
- Add salt and red chili powder in the potato mash and mix it well.
- Divide the potato mash into 10 to 15 equal portions, depending on the size of tikkies you want to make.
- Now wash and dry your hands and rub them with little oil
- Take each portion of potato mash one at a time and make a ball then gently with the thumb press in the middle and make it like a cup. With a spoon take some stuffing and fill the cup.
- Fold the edges together so that stuffing does not come out. Now gently flatten it into a patty. Repeat until you make all the patties.
- Now shallow fry the aloo tikkies in pan and serve hot with imli chutney or pudhina chutney or coriander chutney, even you can serve the tikkies with chola snd curd.
- Aloo tikkies can be deep fried also, for that add soaked bread to the mashed Potatoes or you can add cornflower to the potato mash mixture. It will bind them and you can have crisper taste
- Try to serve these tikkies with homemade Cholas and curd and chutneys.
- Serve Hot.