Veg Momos, aka Steamed Dumplings is one such thing that makes everyone crave. Momos is traditionally a Tibetan dish, years after its popularity in the Tibet people in Nepal, Bhutan and North-eastern India have claimed it to be their dishes.
Vegetable momo is a Nepali recipe. Usually meat is used to stuff these momos but here the recipe is with typical Indian stuffing such as cabbage, spring onions, carrot, bell peppers, and some fresh vegetables or sometimes paneer (Cottage cheese) as well. Momos can be steamed or fried. Steamed one are healthier but if you are looking for crunchy texture of these momos, you can fry. Momos is a very famous starter among Nepalise and Tibetans. They can be prepared in different shapes as well but half moon or dumpling style is popular to wrap this momos.
For the Momo dough
1 1⁄2 cup Maida
Salt to taste
2 tsp Oil
Warm water to knead the dough
Knead all the ingredients in the dough section and form a semi soft dough. After done, pour in some oil and knead for 2-3 minutes. Cover with a damp cloth for 15 minutes.
For the stuffing
Carrot – 1 small chopped
French beans – 6-8 chopped
Cauliflower – 100 gm chopped
Spring Onions – 2 (chopped /use both white and green parts)
Cottage cheese (Paneer) – 100 gm
Green chillies- 3-4 chopped
Garlic – 3-4 pods
Ginger – 1 inch chopped
Crushed Black pepper – 1⁄2 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1⁄2 tsp
Maggi Masala Cubes- 2
Fresh coriander chopped – 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
To make the Stuffing
1. Heat oil in a frying pan and add garlic to it. Sauté garlic for about 30 seconds till the raw smell subsides.
- Then, add the chopped ginger, green chilies and sauté further.
- Next, put in the vegetables and fry until they are almost done, let it cook until the moisture vanishes.
- Add all the spices and stir-fry.
- Adjust seasoning and remove.
To make the Momos/ For making Dumplings
- Divide the dough into small, equal balls and roll them into little 3-inch discs.
- Put 1tbsp of the filling on the rolled dough.
- Apply water at the ends and gather the edges into the center and seal of the edges. This will make dumpling style momos.
- If you want to make half-moon, put stuffing on one side and fold into half.
- Apply oil to the steamer basket and arrange momos in a single layer and steam it for 10-12 minutes.
Boil water in a steamer. While the water is boiling, grease the steamer decks. After greasing add momos to the decks. After water boils, add the decks to the steamer and cover cook for 7-10 mins.
- After they get cooked, they will get a little bit transparent. After cooking for 10 mins, let them rest for 2-3 mins in the covered steamer. Finally that shake the steamer and the momos will come out, if you have greased the decks well.
- Serve it Hot with Red Chilli/ Ketchup/Sesame Seed Chutney/ Green Chili Dip
Ever heard of the Moburg?
Momo+burger = awesomeness: No? It’s a momo burger — a unique invention of the chefs – The Moburg is a burger filled with two pieces of fried momo with schezwan and coriander sauce and mayo.